Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green



Green. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. Green with envy. Green eyed monster. Green is a color associated with sickness, possibly because people's skin takes on a slightly yellow/green tinge when they are seriously ill. Green is also the color of many unripe foods that cause stomach pains. Why does the word green have so many negative connotations? Even though Shriek was as gentle as they come, he was presented to us as a green character.
Why even Dr. Seuss made green a negative word when he wrote, Green Eggs and Ham.

Lately I have been noticing more jealousy, begrudging, and just plain old envy from people around me, especially at my work place. I have never been a jealous person and because of that, I do not understand why people get jealous. For example, If Joe won the lottery and was made comfortable for the rest of their lives, why do some people draw the attention of the happiness of Joe with selfish words like, “Why couldn’t that be me” or I am so jealous of Joe. I wish more folks would just be happy for Joe. For if it wasn’t you that won, wouldn’t you want someone you know to win?




That brings me to my next word. Gracious. As an adjective it is characterized by kindness and warm courtesy, by tact and propriety: responded to the insult with gracious humor, of a merciful or compassionate nature, by charm or beauty; graceful, by elegance and good taste: gracious living and to favor or grace; acceptable or pleasing. I see people on Blogs, Twitter and Facebook exhibiting the grace they possess. Offline is a different matter. What I am surrounded by is the complete opposite of graciousness. Bad manners, discourtesy, impoliteness, pompousness and rudeness are what I witness on a daily basis. A sense of entitlement and the lack of grace seem to go hand in hand with jealousy.
What should we do if we find ourselves surrounded by self-indulgent people? Smile. Just keep on smiling at them and lead by example. So next time you feel green with envy or the green-eyed monster appears, exchange those words and thoughts with “the green green grass of home”, “Green Tea”, or the “Green Hornet”.

Positive energy is powerful. It’s concentrated! A little goes a long, long way.


Start today and sing with Kermit:






It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky
But green's the color of Spring



Love Peace & Bicycle Grease
RuthAnn


P.S. My husband, Frank Dickinson(@frankdickinson on Twitter)recently made a groovy Squidoo Lens on Aura's. Press here and take a ride to his lens.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
blog comments powered by Disqus